HISTORY & MUSEUMS
Swift Island Ferry Bridge was built in 1927 in preparation for the damming of the Pee Dee river and the creation of Lake Tillery. This was preceded by a rather comical demolition of the original bridge by the U.S. Military. First it was first overloaded. Then, bombed and finally, fired upon by cannons before being brought down by 2,000 pounds of explosives. This ordeal is referred to as "The Battle of the Swift Island Bridge" by locals.
Visit one of our museums